Safelite Auto Glass - BEWARE of Safelite Autoglass!!!!!!

Issue not resolved
Feb 17, 2010
review #171596

I am a former employee of Safelite Autoglass, I was not fired or terminated.I worked for their Sacramento CA and locally here in the DFW area and quit my job there because of their poorly trained techs.

basically I got tired of cleaning up after people who had no business replacing auto glass, I WOULDN'T LET ONE OF THEM FIX MY BYCICLE to put it softly. A brief point I want to make is that I have the credentials to say what I am saying now with 10 years in the glass business management and installing. They manufacture their own glass and it is of very poor quality as an installer I had countless incidents of parts not fitting correctly or breaking during installation. I will keep it short by explaining the training these armatures are working with, they have a turn and burn process and put guys that start with no experience and train them for a 90 day period and throw them out on their own to fix your vehicle, are you comfortable with that?

Note the proper replacement of your windshield could be the difference between life and death, you airbags depend on your windshield to operate and in the event of a head on collision or vehicle roll over you could be killed by an improper replacement.

I have witnessed first hand that the adhesive they use is cheap and fails often, failing by not firmly adhering to the glass, trust me I am not a disgruntled employee by any means.I simply want people to do some research on safety and ask the right questions before choosing the company that will perform this service.

bf5266d
Had an experience with Safelite Auto Glass?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
monk

Nov 18 New Castle, Pennsylvania

dude I been doing this for 16 years and work for them don't be salty cause you wanted to go home on a fri early and got an add on suck it up and deal with it buddy go find another glass co. that has what they offer.

Nov 12 Rockville, Maryland

Wow what fun it is to stumble onto this page. A long time ago I cut my teeth at a full service independent glass shop, on the auto glass side. I spent two years there and moved on to a larger state wide independent auto glass shop for 7 years on the East coast with a one year stint between those six at LOF Auto Glass in Southern California ,when they installed, (yes that's right LOF now Pilkington had glass installation centers ). Then back to the East coast to Install and Manage for Windshields America, Owned by Belron. Belron Windshields America merged W.A. with U.S. Autoglass and re-branded it to form VISTAR for one year. Then Belron sold us to Safelite and signed a non compete in the U.S. for a few years.
After those few years passing Belron came back to buy Safelite keeping the Safelite name and most of its employees. Safelite fought lawsuits with Triumph Autoglass then Safelite bought them up too.
I lived, worked, and breathed all that through my career. Promises and future promotions with Belron Windshields America vanished with those mergers and acquisitions. And most of us former Windshields America Employees who made it through the first merger left the company when it sold to Safelite. Why? Because, promotions were gone with the management shuffle, Bonuses gone, Uniforms gone, installer workloads doubled to the point of being laughable that they would expect installers to do 15 windshields in 8 hours not including drive times.
And now we saw how
... Show more

Above average glass man

Oct 20 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

I read all of the negative comments made by some of you and I wonder what kind of technician you might have been. Good, bad or average... I have been with Safelite for almost 12 years now and in that time I have seen many highs and lows in the company. Currently and for about the last 5 years Safelite has never been better. I read comments made by former employees complaining that Safelite "watches" us to much and focuses on "numbers" to much. Why do you think they do this? I can tell you it's because we focus on the highest quality and customer service in the industry. Much of the verbage in those angry outburst are old industry terms that Safelite quit using years ago. NO company or individual auto glass installer uses more advanced or higher quality installation techniques and products than Safelite does. As far as under trained or low quality installers I'm guessing many of the disgruntled individuals on here are exactly that. Safelite has the most extensive training program of any autoglass company. Our training is above and beyond any national requirement. I have been in every aspect of this company and I assure anyone reading this that Safelite is by far the best auto glass replacement company in the world. I currently install for them and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else to do so. By all means shop around but I am supremely confident that Safelite is the best company for all your auto glass needs.

robin

Jun 25

Thanks for your tip, this thing matters a lot while making choice of windshield i have also experienced bad effects of choosing wrong windshield.

BobbyFlora

May 20 Tampa, Florida

I work for safelite now and they definately have their problems, thats for sure. HOWEVER, the products they use (with exception of Safelite windshields) are all very good quality. We use Sika which is the preferred glue of most. NEVER have I heard once of the glue falling off when properly applied. I understand that we have our problems, but if you are going to argue, be realistic and tell the truth GLASSMAN 234 .

1 1 Reply
Old Man

Nov 14 Mount Hope, West Virginia

It's a windshield installation company...And you state everything they use is good quality except their brand of windshield??? That's funny!!! Hey everyone ! My glue is awesome but my windshield sucks!!!

Sauna City

Aug 16, 2013

Yesterday, I had Safelite come out to repair a star. Now, I have an 8-inch crack. I understand it's glass, and that glass cracks, and that an amount of pressure is required to suck out debris and squirt in resin. But now I need a new windshield in a brand new car. I should have left it alone.

Neftaly Sanchez

Sep 30, 2012

I work in hooksett, n.h for the moment, i'v worked at safelite for almost 3 years and let me tell you this place is a joke. its all about numbers, they rate you on everything. did he call you, did he wash all your windows, did he vacum your call. yeah i understand thats being pro but sometimes customers don't relize you done all the above and answer don't know. now you your numbers look bad, there goes your bonus. I got $1.63 raise in almost 3 years..what a joke (come monday i quit)

Tech

Jun 27, 2011

Glassman and the guy with the cute name, one says sika asap is junk and the other says dow is junk. Their the two best adhesives out. And Glassboy we're using asap+. I've been around longer than you, worked on the outside and now the inside of safelite. A lot of the stuff you about the company used to be true. But Sika??? I'll admit it was hard to used to coming from DOW, but it's stregth is far superior to DOW. Not that Dow is bad, it exceeds FMVSS but i'm sure i don't have to tell you that. All in all, I get it, you came through that company at it's absolute worst. You have every right to hate safelite for how they WERE. But don't blanket the current quality techs with your outdated insults.

mike hunt

Apr 20, 2011

Safelite is a joke owned by a foriegn company. The dow they use is garbage as is the glass and moldings. Their motto is just get the job done while using inferior products. They dont give a *** about their employees or them earnig a decent wage. At Safelite 40 hours does not exist. So unless you suck your manager off you are *** out of luck. AS I said the company is a total joke.

Glassman234

Jan 20, 2011

To correct the individual commenting on the time I worked for Safelite Autoglass. I worked for the company close to 3 years. I have been in the Glass Business for 11 years now. To address your question about the sealant being of poor quality, I did mention that the products the company used were of poor quality as well as most of the techs they employ being of poor qaulity. Do some research before being so quick respond with negative insults and comments. The adhesive they currently use is Sika ASAP. The adhesive I currently use is made by Dow Automotive, research both companies and you will find that the adhesive I use is the prefered adhesive by the vehicle manufacturer. So anyone willing to bring facts to the table when commenting will be respected. Ask around, Saflite techs are the laughing stock of the industry among the true professionals in the business. If you want to use Safelite it your business, you never know I may be the guy you call when you need it done correctly. Thank you have a nice day.

Nov 12 Rockville, Maryland

What you are saying was true in my day. I did Autoglass for 19 years. As far as adhesives go I've used both and both are fine for me but I prefer the 418 HV.
In the middle of my career I had a customer Get into a head on collision after an install with 418 HV And the shield stayed where I put it.

Robert

Jan 19, 2011

Glassman234 you worked for them for 10 years and it's obvious you never once let the company know their glass and sealant were low quality or they would have looked into it. You're full of *** and you stuck it out there 10 years? That doesn't add up to anything to me other then you was one of them worthless workers that most likely got fired for being a loser.

Robert

Jan 19, 2011

Glassman234

Jan 11, 2011

thanks for all of your imput. some have commented that Saflite Auto Glass are the premier this and that or use the best products blah, blah,. hey think what you will about them, but consider your knowledge v/s mine in the glass business. your insurance company uses them to save money. how do you think they make money? hey it's not your fault, your just the consumer, it's your business if you choose BullS*T as part of your diet, it your vehicle not mine thats all i will say for now. underpaid, unhappy techs, that are certified by saflite and the test is a breeze trust me somone with the 90 days training they provide are nothing more than rookies at best and they have 3 chances to pass the test of which they are given the answers to study for the 90 day period. how hard could it be.

Nov 12 Rockville, Maryland

Agreed!! The certification program is a joke and only window dressing for the company to sway it's potential customers and insurance companies who only see a patch or an advertisement stating
"certified ". It's a home run for the company giving the certification test because they make big money giving these tests that can't substitute for experience.
So in other words, The customer doesn't know the difference between a certified guy with 6 months experience and a guy that's been putting windshield in for 20 years that's not certified.

JEFF

Jan 11, 2011

GEE MR WOW; YOU MUST WORK IN SAFELITE MANAGEMENT.OR YOU WOULDNT BE SAYING THAT.

Current Safelite Employee

Jan 01, 2011

I work for Safelite in Texas and I let senior tech's as well as trainees do a repair and a replacement on my vehicle. They both came out GREAT! Not to mention our LIFETIME ownership warranty. I recommend our services to family and friends. And, YES, our tech's are certified and trained.

Bill

Aug 26, 2010

I just got my windshield replaced by Safelite today. I was quite impressed with my tech who had 13 years of experience. My insurance company, USAA, referred me to them. I trust USAA and if they had problems USAA would be all over them. I think some of you may have had bad techs. Like any place, there are always a bad apple or two. Just make sure your tech knows what he's doing.

Nov 14 Mount Hope, West Virginia

You got lucky. USAA ,does and has gotten all over them when they screw up. Unfortunately Safelite is the Only game in town coast to coast. All the others were bought up i.e., U.S. Auto glass, gone , Windshields America, gone, Vistar , gone, Triumph Autoglass, gone. As well as regional companies Like L.O.F. glass centers, gone, Speedy Auto and Window glass, gone.
It's not about quality or customer care It's about Money and convenience for the insurence companies.... Safelite can screw up every day in your town and all that will happen is The customer complains to the insurence company. The Insurence company complains to the glass shop and the glass shop sends a tech out as many time as it takes to fix the problem.
The Insurence company has no where to go. Sure they could use a local glass shop here and there or if the consumer demands it. But it is not conveniant which means it's not cost effective to deal with A.R. and A.B. (accounts receivable/ accounts billable for you rednecks) with a bunch of little companies. Plus agreements and contracts between Safelite and the Insurence companies are cut so far above the Pay grade of anyone involved in a local customer problem. To think your insurence company is going to stop using Safelite because you or a hundred other people had a problem is wishful thinking. The world doesn't work that way.... Nothing will change until there is competion and the consumer / insurence companies have somewhere else to go.

1-20 of 26 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.